I have to admit, by January 23 I was losing hope. Oh, HOPE!! is that my word Lord? No, that's not it. OK back to prayer. Surely this couldn't take a whole month to find a theme for the year? God must have a really good, profound word for me. Everyone else posted their words weeks ago.
The real trouble is, I had a word. I just didn't like it. I wanted another one. The word I was given didn't seem spiritual or profound enough for me. I was given the word. Beautiful. Dictionary.com defines Beautiful like this (and I copied the whole thing so you can see just how "un-spiritual" it is)
1 having beauty; having qualities that give great pleasure or satisfaction to see, hear, think about, etc.; delighting the senses or mind: a beautiful dress; a beautiful speech.
2. excellent of its kind: a beautiful putt on the seventh hole; The chef served us a beautiful roast of beef.
3. wonderful; very pleasing or satisfying.
4. the concept of beauty (usually prec. by the ).
5. ( used with a plural verb ) beautiful things or people collectively (usually prec. by the ): the good and the beautiful.
6. the ideal of beauty (usually prec. by the ): to strive to attain the beautiful.
7. wonderful; fantastic: You got two front-row seats? Beautiful!
8. extraordinary; incredible: used ironically: Your car broke down in the middle of the freeway? Beautiful!
Now, my husband likes to accuse me of not having any sins, but let me tell you straight up, wrestling with my own spiritual vanity is definitely a list topper. I like to think of myself as a David singing praises always, but really, inside, I know I'm more of a Jacob..wrestling with God and trying to force Him to see things my way. While I've not had issues overcoming any delusions concerning my superiority in any physical contest, I can't honestly say I haven't cast stones otherwise. Beautiful? Scmootiful. Not really a life goal of mine.
Obviously, I was a bit confused about the word choice. Why Beautiful? Why not Grace? Love? Mercy? Surly these are things I should be showing others. Determination? Perseverance? These are noteworthy goals. And then there is Peace. Forgiveness. Acceptance of the Father's will. Trust in His perfect plan for my life. That is a BEAUTIFUL thing.