Deuteronomy 28:2 (King James Version)

"And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God." This is my homeschooling blog. Some days my cup runnteh over with the joys of homeschoolong, some days it's spilling what can only be be described as thinly veiled insanity. Either way, it runneth over...

Thursday, February 26, 2009

The problem with hammering a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is such hard work...it's that you're destroying the peg."
Author unknown

Of all the reasons I could list to explain why I home school, the quote above probably does the best job of saying it for me.There are other paths I could have chosen. There are probably easier ways to get my children "educated." Anyone who has ever home schooled knows its not the easiest job in the world. Sadly, I must admit, I've done much "hammering of square pegs." Some hammering was done in ignorance, some in frustration. Thankfully, I'm always reminded (although not always gently) that my purpose is not to drive my "square" children into round holes, but to guide them down the path God designed for them. Everything I see as a defect, He sees as potential. Everything I see as an insurmountable challenge, He sees as an opportunity to excel. What looks to lack to me is abundance to Him....and He grants me the privilege of helping to guide these wonderful gifts out of my children.

I know that as a wife, mom, teacher, cook, laundry lady, and all the other hats you wear, its easy to feel discouraged and overwhelmed. Its easy to look at those square pegs of yours and wish they would just fit right into whatever hole is the closest. On those days, I'd like to encourage you to call another mom who will lift you up with encouraging words. I'd also like to ask you to grab my hammer from my hands when you see me standing next to the wrong hole wielding it with wild eyes :)

No comments: